Ok, so you’ve decided you want to know a little bit more about the therapeutic benefits of supplementing with CBD oil. That’s great, the problem is, everywhere you look you’re constantly bombarded with information overload – from CDB oil to CDB edibles and everything in between. So here is the simplest guide on what to look for when buying CBD oil.
I feel your pain. I really do. I started using CDB oil to relieve pain in my lower back. I suffer from degenerative disc disease with a herniated L4-L5 and L5-S1. Not great at 29, but life is full of curve balls.
It works for me, I hardly have to use pain killers anymore, and I find its helping with more than just my back pain!
But please note, I am not a medical professional, you should always try to consult a doctor with any health issues and in the case of an emergency always call your local services ASAP.
So, lets get to it.
Let’s get through this without too much jargon and over complication.
What is CBD?
CBD oil is oil extracted from the cannabis plant and buds, now, cannabis or marijuana as many of us have always been bombarded with is wrong, illegal, drugs, naughty. But, before people started producing large amounts of cannabis to get high and it got outlawed, it was used for many medicinal purposes. Noting also that hemp was used for paper, trees, clothes etc etc.
There are many different strands and strains of cannabis, each with different compounds. It is thought there are over 113 cannabinoids within a hemp plant, what stands out to us are two specifically, the most abundant are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol)
THC is the compound in marijuana or cannabis which produce the high, the psychoactive stimulant.
CBD doesn’t have any psychoactive properties but has a whole host of potential health benefits
CBD is extracted from the plant and mixed with a carrier oil for better absorption into our bodies.
CBD works by interacting with cannabinoid receptors and other neurotransmitters in the body, skin, digestive tract, reproductive organs and the brain.
There is already CBD in my body?
Well, in everybody there is what we call an endocannabinoid system, which is involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain – sensation, mood, and memory.
When we ingest or inhale cannabis, marijuana or CBD we are supplying our body with an external form of CBD which binds with receptors in our own system. Now the full effects to how this works is still in its infantile stages of study, but there are breakthroughs being made all the time, especially now that Marijuana, or cannabis and CBD is being made legal for medical purposes (and some for recreational) in many states in the US and all over the world.
What are the benefits of cbd oil?
Well, with all the new research being allowed there are new studies being undertaken all the time. Studies which are showing CBD has the potential to help with;
- Pain relief
- Chronic pain
- Restless leg syndrome
And much more is being discovered all the time!
Okay, so we have established that CBD is extracted from the Cannabis plant, it does NOT get us high but DOES have the ability to help us with ailments.
The question next is, what to look for when choosing a CBD oil?
How to choose a CBD oil?
When it comes to choosing a CBD oil there are tonnes of articles on what to look for and what to avoid. The problem being as the most of the articles contradict each other and the others are filled with soo much sciency jargon it is impossible to not pull out your hair!
So, I will tell you what I look for in my CBD oil / CBD oil company which will cover your bases for choosing the best CBD oil products for yourself.
- Whole plant extract
- Organically grown
- C02 Extracted
- 3rd party testing
1) Whole plant extract refers to using the flowers and buds of the cannabis plant. The best products are made from CBD extracted from these elements. Hemp oil is typically cold pressed from the seeds and stems of the plant and contains little to no CBD and THC. Although a healthy additive to a diet, it isn’t what we look for to benefit from therapeutic effects.
2) Organically grown – realistically this goes without saying. Why would you want to ingest something for a therapeutic effect which has been tainted with chemicals, pesticides etc. This includes the oil it is grown in.
3) This is more of a personal preference but always try to opt for all natural, if you really cant stand the taste of the CBD oil (I love it) then you can try the unflavoured. I would just try to make sure that the flavouring isn’t added via horrible chemicals.
4) C02 extracted – This method of extraction is used in many manufacturing processes, it uses no chemicals or additives and provides a pure end product. Typically this is the most used method of extraction for CBD oil and other CBD products including vapes.
5) 3rd party testing – This is a no brainer. This means the company uses a company not affiliated with themselves to test the products for accuracy and quality. All companies producing CBD oil should supply you with a certificate of analysis stating the ingredients and quality of the oil you are consuming.
What dosage cbd oil should I use?
anyone starting out should start out low and assess their tolerance to cbd oils.
I recommend starting low – then either upping the number of drops you use or buying a higher dosed product. The first cbd oil I used contained 2000mg whole plant extract with 14% CBD – which gave me 280mg CBD oil per bottle.
At around 190 – 200 drops per 10ml bottle this worked out to 1.4mg per drop. And I used 2 drops a night to start.
Most people will start CBD oil without checking their dosages but trying to understand your dose will help you better when it comes to adjusting and knowing what strengths work for you.
Typically about 3 – 5 mg is a good starting point.
You can always use www.cbddosagecalculator.com
If you follow the above steps you will have no issue in whichever company you purchase your CBD from. But just to make things easier find below a few reputable CBD oil suppliers.
Click HERE for high quality CBD oil from CBDlife UK
Click HERE for high quality CBD oil from Cannabidiol life USA